Estate Agent Terminology

by Las Sendas Homes on March 5, 2012

If you are looking to buy a property, you will probably be viewing those listed by estate agents. If this is the case, you will need to know what all of the terms used by them mean.

The aim of this article is to explain some of the most common terms.

Private Apartment: Residential unit located in a building that contains other residential units.

Penthouse: A residential unit on the top floor of a multi-storey building. If there is a garden it will be a roof garden.

Maisonette: A 2-level self contained residential unit inside a building. The entrance is often at street level but there are internal stairs to move between levels.

Bungalow: A property that is all on ground level. Sometimes you will find a bungalow with a loft conversion which gives a second level.

Detached House: House with no common wall or roofing.

Linked House: One of two houses joined by a common wall which separates the garages of the 2 houses. The common wall is the side wall of the garage.

Semi Detached: One of a pair landed houses joined by a common wall rising from ground to roof level. The common wall is the side wall of the house.

Terraced House: House in a row of at least 3 houses. It has 2 common walls.

Corner Terrace House: House at the end of a row of terrace houses. It will have a single common wall and often has a larger garden compared to the other houses in the terrace.

Cul-de-sac House: House at the end of a no-through-road.

Town House: One in a row of not less than 3 residential units having ground contact and common ownership of the land.

Country House: Big house in the countryside with a traditional style.

Farm House: Main house on a farm or a property built in the style of a farmhouse.

Cottage: Small country dwelling.

Leasehold: Property tenure where one party buys the right to occupy land or a building for a fixed period of time.

Freehold: Property tenure with no time limit to the ownership.

Make sure that you are well prepared when looking at a property. You need to do understand what the terms used by the agents actually mean. You need to make sure that you adequately check out both the house and the area before you go ahead and exchange contracts and you will also need to be clear what your personal finances are. You will also need a residential conveyancing solicitor. You can find one by searching online for things such as ‘solicitors Salisbury‘ or ‘solicitors Andover’ (which will find you a local solicitor) but you may do better to search a bit more specifically i.e. ‘residential conveyancing Salisbury’, ‘residential conveyancing Andover.

Don’t forget, property hunting can be fun so enjoy it.

Previous post:

Next post: